OAEC is a non-profit education center in Sonoma County that works to promote ecologically and culturally resilient communities. Learn more.
OAEC is a non-profit education center, organic demonstration farm and intentional community located in western Sonoma County, 65 miles north of San Francisco, on 80 acres that encomFpass wildlands of meadows and mixed oak, fir and redwood forests.
Much of the Center’s work is in response to the challenge of how to create ecologically, economically and culturally sustainable communities that are democratic and serve as a counterpoint to privatized and corporatized society.
- We believe that there isn't just one solution to the problems of our time. That's why OAEC is involved in a myriad of projects, from local watershed restoration and School Garden development to onsite courses such as Permaculture certification and "Starting and Sustaining Intentional Communities."
In a typical year, the Center receives over 3,000 visitors.
- Many attend one of our courses or plant sales, while others come to site tours or volunteer in the garden.
- Bay Area social justice and environmental organizations use the OAEC facility for strategy retreats and workshops for their staff and boards.
- Many thousands more benefit from our organizing campaigns, public presentations, heirloom seed swaps, and consulting services.
Enjoy this short video tour of the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center!
The Center’s bio-intensive organic gardens and orchards have been a source of inspiration and training for thousands of gardeners, farmers and landscapers for over 35 years:
- first as the Farallones Institute (1974 - 1990)
- then as the Center for Seven Generations (1990 - 1993)
- and now as OAEC (1994 - present)
To ensure that all future farming operations are free of synthetic chemicals and in keeping with the California Certified Organic Farmers certification program, a permanent organic agricultural easement over our gardens and orchards was signed between OAEC and the Sonoma Land Trust in 1994.
The Center’s core organizational budget was $1,050,000 last year. To insure our ﬁnancial viability, OAEC has developed a diverse funding base over the years.
Stay in Touch
- Directions to OAEC (no drop-in visitors, please)