OAEC offers two internship positions each year in our 49 year-old biointensive organic gardens. The gardens are a rich setting for experiential learning. Interns learn all aspects of gardening while working closely with OAEC’s Garden Manager. We are looking for those who really want to learn from working in the Mother Garden and take their experience out into the world.
- 2023 internships begin in late January and end in mid-December.
- The work week is 24 hours. OAEC garden interns typically work full days Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, with a few exceptions. Ample vacation, holiday, and sick time off is provided.
- In exchange for their work, all interns are given a private, cozy place to live, community meals (including access to a fully-stocked kitchen, pantry, and on-site garden veggies and orchard.) Interns also receive free participation in the OAEC Permaculture Design Course, as well as a $300 monthly stipend.
- Interns fully participate in the life of the residential community, including contributing to the regular cooking and chore rotations.
Garden interns are involved in all aspects of gardening, including:
- Plant propagation and greenhouse work
- Orchard care
- Bed preparation and transplanting
- Seed Sowing
- Hand watering and drip irrigation
- Pruning, trellising and fertilizing
- Seed saving and processing
- OAEC Nursery and Plant Sale assistance
- An excitement and desire to learn gardening through hands-on experience is essential.
- Prior gardening experience is helpful but not necessary.
- We are looking for motivated, self-starting people who can be comfortable occasionally working alone.
- Physical stamina is a must. We work outside rain or shine!
- We encourage garden internship applicants to attend a Garden Volunteer Day at OAEC sometime in October. This is a great way to meet us, see the garden, and get a feel for the work, especially if you’ve never been here before. On the RSVP page, please indicate that you are applying to the garden internship.
- Complete the Garden_Intern_Application-2023 form.
- Include a cover letter, resume and references.
- A picture of yourself is requested, yet not required.
OAEC does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.