OAEC offers two internship positions each year in our 45 year-old biointensive organic gardens. The gardens are a rich setting for experiential learning. Interns learn all aspects of gardening while working closely with OAEC’s Garden Manager. We are looking for those who really want to learn from working in the Mother Garden and take their experience out into the world.
- Internships begin in early February and end in mid-December.
- The work week is 25 hours. OAEC garden interns typically work full days Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, with a few exceptions. Ample vacation, holiday, and sick time off is provided.
- In return, each intern is given full room and board which includes a cozy private cabin to live in and access to our fully-stocked vegetarian, organic kitchen (see main internship page for more details on our food system.) Interns can also use all the facilities onsite and get free participation in the Permaculture Design Certification course, as space permits.
- Interns fully participate in the life of the residential community, including contributing to the regular cooking and chore rotations.
- All land residents and staff, including interns, are required to be vaccinated against Covid 19.
Garden interns are involved in all aspects of gardening, including:
- Propagation and greenhouse work
- Bed preparation
- Seed saving and processing
- Plant Sale preparations
- An excitement and desire to learn gardening through hands-on experience is essential.
- Prior gardening experience is helpful but not necessary.
- We are looking for motivated, self-starting people who can be comfortable occasionally working alone.
- Physical stamina is a must. We work outside rain or shine!
- We encourage garden internship applicants to attend a Garden Volunteer Day at OAEC sometime in October. This is a great way to meet us, see the garden, and get a feel for the work, especially if you’ve never been here before. On the RSVP page, please indicate that you are applying to the garden internship.
- Complete the Garden_Intern_Application-2022 form.
- Include a cover letter, resume and references.
- A picture of yourself is requested, yet not required.
After initial selection of potential candidates, we require a 1½-hour working on-site interview. Phone interviews for this position are not possible.
OAEC does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.