If fixing pipes, wiring a circuit, making a screen door, or building a cabin sounds like a good work day, you should apply for one of the two Facilities Internship positions. This residential position focuses on maintaining and improving the infrastructure at OAEC. Tasks vary from the simple and quick to multi-week construction projects. While much of what we do is functional in its approach, we do not pass up an opportunity to employ an artistic sensibility in our work.
- The work week is 25 hours. In return, interns are given a private place to live, use of all the facilities onsite, and free participation in OAEC courses on a space available basis.
- OAEC internships are 11 months long, beginning January 17th and ending November 17th 2017.
- Interns work closely with OAEC Facilities Manager James Pelican.
- One of the ways interns participate in the life of the residential community is through contributing to the regular cooking and chore rotations. In contribution to the community dinner schedule, each community member and intern cooks dinner once every two weeks.
Typical tasks include:
Facilities interns have the opportunity to learn a great deal in some or most of the following areas, depending on the work that needs to be done:
- forest management
So, what are we looking for? Whomever we hire must be easy to get along with. If you think you can fulfill that one, read on:
- Ease of understanding and applying task instructions.
- Ability to work equally as well alone or as part of a team.
- Skills in any and all areas of the building trades are desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to be flexible with hours and work assignments.
- A valid driver’s license & clean driving record.
- The interns are asked to work 25 hrs/week with the weekly schedule to be agreed upon between the facilities directors and interns.
November 15th is the deadline to apply for the Facilities Internships.
- Include a cover letter and resume.
- Include references with contact information.
- A picture of yourself is requested, yet not required.
OAEC does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.