We’ve heard about Defensible Space, the 100ft perimeter around buildings that should be free from burnable materials to prevent damage from wildfire, but what about the wildlands beyond those 100ft? Attend this workshop series (one webinar and two field days) to learn about “Beyond Defensible Space.” Attend one or all! All are welcome, however these workshops will focus on the Safer West County communities.
Webinar: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 from 6-8pm Join Jon Kanagy (Sonoma Ecology Center), Briana Boaz (Santa Rosa Junior College), Sashi Sabaratnam (UC Cooperative Extension) and OAEC’s very own Brock Dolman on for a Zoom webinar on strategies for holistic wildland fuel management. We will post the recording on our website. On the agenda:
- How to think about fire resiliency at the landscape-scale
- Fuel load mitigation strategies that support wildlife habitat and biodiversity
- Case studies from OAEC’s wildlands preserve and Santa Rosa Junior College’s 120-acre Shone Farm
- A rundown of regulatory compliance and planning tools for landowners and managers
Field Workshop at SRJC Shone Farm: Saturday, June 18, 9am-1pm
- Come join Natural Resources professor and Wildfire Resilience Program Coordinator, Brianna Boaz for an in-depth field workshop of SRJC’s 120-acre forest at Shone Farm. Together we will:
- Experience ecological forest management and prescribed fire preparation in 120-acres of mixed evergreen forest and oak woodlands.
- Learn about SRJC’s new Wildfire Resilience Program focused on training student interns in pre- and post-fire vegetation management.
We welcome participants to bring a bagged lunch and enjoy at our forest picnic area after the tour.
- Experience wildlife and native plant communities representative of California’s diversity – from coastal prairie grassland and chaparral islands, to oak woodlands and mixed hardwood and conifer forests
- Learn aboutOAEC’s approach to fire mitigation and regenerative land management towards restoring water, carbon, fire, and life cycles
- Get inspired by OAEC’s dozens of on-site models from 25+ years of restoration application and stewardship implementation, including lessons learned and best practices to apply back home!