Each year, we select two people who have a desire to learn more about running a nonprofit organization to join our Office Team. Specifically, you will be exposed to a wide range of tasks that support OAEC’s Administration, Development and Communications departments. Upon completion, interns will have received the education, mentorship and experience to better understand the overall management of nonprofit organizations. OAEC Administrative Interns have graduated to achieve success in the nonprofit world and are currently creating meaningful change within diverse communities.
The Administrative Internships run from January 16, 2017 to November 16, 2018. Administrative Interns will have the opportunity to select a specific area of focus: Development or Communications. Below are the specific responsibilities and qualifications for Administration, Development and Communications.
General Administrative Responsibilities:
- Be the face of OAEC – greet visitors and respond to initial inquiries (i.e. phone, mail, and email communications).
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of OAEC’s constituent database.
- Be the point of contact for internal and external inquiries regarding all OAEC Administrative workings.
- General program support related to OAEC courses and events. This includes, but is not limited to, developing and/or preparing materials, supporting logistical needs, and providing input during PR/publicity campaign brainstorms.
- Create and manage OAEC’s annual calendar.
- Maintain OAEC’s document and organizational management systems.
- Encourage a fun, pleasant and professional office atmosphere.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Prior administrative experience is preferred.
- Proficiency with Mac computers, Excel, Word, Outlook, and Google Drive. Experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign is a plus.
- Database management experience preferred (you will learn how to use our constituent relationship management software Fundly).
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Self-motivated and capable of working both independently and as part of a team.
- Capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing effectively while working under multiple deadlines.
You will be working with the Development Associate (average of 5 hours/week) in addition to your general Administrative responsibilities.
- Help coordinate OAEC’s multifaceted donation process.
- Maintain accurate donor contacts and contribution information in our constituent database.
- Support the Development Associate and Executive Director in basic design and editing work related to development materials (i.e. grant proposals, member letter, donor member invitations, etc).
- Help coordinate and facilitate donor events.
- Provide on-going administrative and logistical support for OAEC programs, as needed.
- General writing and copy editing skills are required.
- You enjoy collaborating, have tactful communication skills and a knack for networking.
- Basic design skills are a plus.
- Experience with development work, grant writing and event planning are a plus.
You will be working with the Communications Director (average of 7 hours/week) in addition to your general Administrative responsibilities.
- Support overall Communications “design” work – including, but not limited, to posters, Nursery coupons, invitations and other templates.
- Maintain OAEC’s branding in all physical and online materials.
- Help implement OAEC’s social media priorities and outreach.
- Support and maintain all press related activities including contact lists, outreach strategies, and PSA/release materials.
- Support outreach strategies, both online and on the ground, and help to assess the efficacy of those strategies.
- Basic Photoshop and/or InDesign skills a plus.
- Knowledge of compelling and concise writing for the web is a plus.
More Internship Details:
- The work week is 25 hours. In return, interns are given a private place to live, use of all the facilities onsite, and free participation in OAEC courses on a space available basis.
- The Administrative Internships run from January 16, 2018 to November 18, 2018.
- Interns will work with Office Manager Samara Seibel, Operations & Finance Director Jenyng Wu, Communications Director Olivia Rathbone, and Program Manager Cooper Freeman.
- Beyond the internship with the non-profit, one of the ways interns participate in the life of the residential community is through contributing to the regular cooking and chore rotations. In contribution to the community dinner schedule, each community member and intern cooks dinner once every two weeks.
November 1st is the deadline to apply for the Administrative Internships.
- Complete the admin_intern_application form application form.
- Submit a cover letter and resume.
- Include references with contact information.
- A picture of yourself (optional).
Submit by Email or Mail
Email your application materials to . If physically mailing your application materials, please mail to:
OAEC c/o Admin Internship
15290 Coleman Valley Road
Occidental, CA 95465
OAEC does not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.